Tuesday 8 January 2013

Airfix Small Scale HMS Victory


For a bit of a change I have something for you today that has nothing whatsoever to do with middle-earth.  We have infact an airfix model of HMS Victory, it doesn't say what scale on the box (more than a tad annoying), but it is the smaller cheap version (it costs little more than a fiver).

It's a VERY simple kit with under 20 pieces total, and it shows.  I think the end result is unsatisfying, but I'm not sure what else I could do to improve it that much.  In the end it is tempting me to buy a bigger kit and do the ship justice.





 
One of the most annoying parts of this model is the utter lack of rear detail, which is just covered up with a transfer.


7 comments:

  1. It's not a great model, that's right... but it's a good one for starting to do ships, maybe?
    It needs some additional accessories, like pieces of rope, canons... maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah if I was 12 I'd have probaly found this fine, I guess it wasn't really aimed at me. I think rope, cannons etc at this scale would be too fidly and not much fun!

      Delete
  2. Shame it ended up not being the fun you hoped it would be. It looks fine via a photo but I know it must be frustrating regarding the aft being just a transfer. Biggest issue I have is that often you don't actually get a picture of the finished model, it's a painting or such

    Cheers
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep I think you've hit the nail on the head there, scale model kits never seem to have photos on for some reason, I normally do a quick research before hand, but this was an Impulse purchase.

      Delete
  3. Looks good to me
    As a kit it has great wargaming conversion potential

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agree on the wargaming potential, a table filled with several cut at the waterline could make for a good looking game

      Delete
  4. Afterword:
    In the process of making my very own a year and a half later ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...