Friday 2 December 2011

Codex: Craftworld Eldar & Warhammer Armies: Ogre Kingdoms

I am at heart a collector, I collect many things, and hate having gaps, one of the things I collect and like having are the codicies and army books from GW.  Unfortunatley the reality is that I can't afford to buy every book as it comes out, but I try and pick them up cheaply on ebay when I can, and have quite an extensive collection dating back to 3rd ed warhammer and 2nd ed 40K, a quick count reveals 34 army books and  22 codices, today I added another two to that total, both are second hand and cost around £3 each, which is cheaper than White Dwarf magazine.  Obviously the actual rules contained within these books aren't valid anymore, but I like reading the background sections and old rules and list structures can often give me ideas.


First off we have Codex: Craftworld Eldar, a small 24 page book that was a supplement to the 4th ed. codex eldar.  With 5 variant craftworld lists and a couple of new troops types.  Its only a little book though and the background info is limited.


And secondly Warhammer Armies: Ogre Kingdoms, the origanal version, going cheap presumably as the new version has just come out.  A suprisingly good read actually, its the first time I've ever had a proper read of the ogre backround.  It feels a bit different to the other warhammer armies background and you can tell that its been bolted on a later date (it doesn't feel integrated the way a lot of the other races histories are with one another), still i finally understand what the great maw is and what drives the current ogre theme.  Am I going to get an Ogre army? nope, asthetically I still prefer the old 3rd ed. ogres and these ones just don;t do it for me, but it looks like they're here to stay and I'm happy I understand them a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...