Saturday 17 September 2011

Dreadfleet Arrives



Games workshop have announced a new game, its not Man 'O' War as a lot of poeple were expecting, but it is a naval game set in the warhammer world, which is quite close.  Its a one off limited release all in one box in the same way Space Hulk was a couple of years ago.  I still love my copy of Space Hulk and those that read my blog regulary will know that my gaming has taken a nautical turn ever since my trip to Portsmouth back in the spring, so it was inevitable that a warhammer pirate naval game was going to be of interest to me.


It all looks very pretty, with 10 unique varied big warships, which are a mix of empire and undead plus a dwarf and elven ship, also what appear to be little ships, a dragon and some islands.  Plus a rulebook and a big blue mat to play on, in fact here is the list from the GW site on the contents

This boxed game contains:

98-page Rulebook
Seascape Gaming Mat
10 Warships
10 Scenic Bases
7 Cog Auxiliaries
1 Dragon Auxiliary
1 Dirigible Auxiliary
7 Islands
5 Shipwreck Pieces
3 Sea Monsters
5 Treasure Tokens
12 Dice
1 Wind Gauge
2 Ship's Wheels
1 Navigation Rod
10 Warship Cards
55 Damage Cards
40 Fate Cards
12 Auxiliary Cards
10 Wound Cards
11 Miscellaneous Cards


I don't know anything really about the rules yet, but apparently it's scenario based like space hulk or dwarf kings hold.


The price is £70, which for a big board game full of stuff is fair I think, and I'm willing to pay it.  What I don't understand is why it's limited release and why if its successful they will still refuse to expand on it, surely they would just make more money, oh well.  I've preordered it and am looking forward to it arriving, so expect a full unboxing post in a couple of weeks.  I hope it does well and GW continue to release big boxed games outside of their core systems, I still live in hope of a warhammer quest delux.  What's also worth noting is that this is my first significant purchase (ie not a pot of paint) from games worksop since my one finecast model back in the early summer.

Anyway I'm off to watch some pirates of the carribean movies, bye for now.



All imgaes copyright Games Workshop, used without permission.

2 comments:

  1. I've pre-ordered and am looking forward to this game as well. Should make an enjoyable fall and winter sailing around Galleon's Graveyard having pirate battles with my friends. :-)

    Apparently GW plans to do a big box release like this and Space Hulk every two years. A new Warhammer Quest certainly would be awesome with the way they do plastics now days!

    I honestly don't think they can realistically support more than their three core systems. They've put a lot of effort lately into reviving Warhammer Fantasy, and have done a ton of work ramping up for the release of The Hobbit. If the movies weren't delayed like they were we'd already seen the fruits of their labor instead of having a whole year without a new LOTR release.

    Just my 2 1/2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your probaly right to be honest, and with the prices they charge these days how many systems can customers realistically invest in.

    Whilst a full fleet for every race is clearly out of the question I still think a single boxed expansion in a years time would be a good idea (somewhere around the £30 mark with a couple of new ships and scenarios).

    But when it comes to it, this still looks like a ginat box of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...