Friday 22 July 2011

Mantic Journal 4




A bit of a suprise yesterday when Mantic Journal 4 landed on my doormat.  Obviously I knew I'd taken out a one year sub (to get the dwarf driller model, see my painted version here), but to be honest I'd kind of forgotten about it, especially as the first 3 hadn't been very exciting.  I am glad to report however that issuse 4 is a giant leap forward and actually has a bunch of real content.

Most of the journal is taken up with (a suprisingly interesting) background and army lists for both Orcs and Abyssal Dwarfs in Kings of War.  The army lists are avaliable online anyway, but it makes sense to include them after the background section.  It also includes rules and a brief backgroud to the new Wraiths boxed set (see my thoughts on them here) and a Kings of War scenario pitting the Orcs against the Abyssal Dwarfs.

Hidden in amongst all this are the two best bits; firstly part 2 of alessio cavatore's designers notes for KoW, and I always like designers notes articles in wargaming magazines, and finally tucked away at the end is a new sceanrio for Dwarf Kings Hold: Dead Rising which is a game I like an awful lot (see my thoughts on the contents and gameplay), I've not had a chance to try it yet but am looking forward to it.

Overall the Mantic Journal is finally starting to show some promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...